Ugh. I knew it was coming. Yesterday I woke up more exhausted than usual and then I went for a delightful snow walk and I just knew it wasn’t simply the cold air making my nose run. Sure enough, I woke up today with a single, clogged nostril, not only one of my most despised cold symptoms but also a telltale sign that the common cold has descended on me.
I am not impressed. Want to know why? Let me explain by sharing the a list of things that go out the window when I have a cold:
- My patience (and I assure you there’s little of it to start with)
- A good night’s sleep (mostly due to my annoyance and lack of patience for having one clogged nostril)
- Workouts (it has taken me years to reach the point where I actually take an extra rest day when I have what’s essentially just a bad cold)
- Wine (the most distressing of losses as it’s my most prized of coping mechanisms for almost anything else)
- All attempts to eat healthily (it’s illogical but true that I have no desire to eat vegetables when I have a cold)
- Motivation to accomplish anything (ask the dishwasher that still hasn’t been unloaded…)
- Creative energy (you know, for things like blog post topics)
Normally, I wouldn’t get super fussed about a cold, especially since I still don’t have to worry about going to work every day. However, Christmas is fast approaching and I’ll be damned if a common cold will keep me from tasting all the wine and turkey and holiday treats that I can cram into my face. Today, I’m waging a war against this cold in the form of rest, water and my most dangerous of secret weapons, oil of oregano.
Take that, cold.